Menu:

Picture:

Views of the former Lutheran church in Przedecz, built 1824-28 on the ruins of an old castle. Photographs taken by me in October, 2000. You can find a still nicer picture of the church here: - photo courtesy Marcin Nowakowski.

Genealogy links:

Other links:

Evangelical-Augsburgian (Lutheran) Parishes in Congress Poland, a.k.a. Russian Poland

Below is a chronological listing showing the formation of Evangelical-Augsburg (Lutheran) parishes in the territory of Congress Poland. It should be noted that Congress Poland, also called Russian Poland, existed between 1815 and appr. 1918, while the time period shown below goes from 1617 until the beginning of WWII in 1939. The parish formation is shown chronologically, interspersed with important historical events that took place in Poland during the same period. Lutheran parishes in other parts of Poland, lying outside of Congress Poland, such as Volhynia, Silesia, West Prussia, etc., are not shown here.

Hopefully, this list will be helpful when trying to find records of your ancestors who once lived in this area of Poland. Filmed records from most of these parishes, although not for the whole period mentioned, can be found at the "Place Search" page of the LDS.

If the records have not (yet) been filmed by the LDS, the Polish State Archives have a page where you can check what is in their databases.

If you are looking for records from a period before the formation of the Lutheran parish, you may be able to find the data in the records of the Roman-Catholic parish for that location. Also, please note that records which are not yet 100 years old are neither filmed by the LDS nor stored by the Polish State Archives. If they exist, they are held by the local town authorities.

Formation year - Polish name (German Name) - Remarks

1617 - Mościce (Neudorf-Neubruch/Bug) - a.k.a. Sławatycze (Schlawatitz)

1650 - Węgrów (Wengrow)

1772 - The first partition of Poland by Austria, Russia and Prussia.

1775 - Warszawa (Warschau) - Affiliated with Węgrów/Wengrow since 1650. Formed as independent parish in 1775.

1775 - Iłów (Ilow) - Considered to be the "mother" of the Lutheran parishes along the Vistula (Wisła/Weichsel). Until the surrounding parishes were established, the pastors of Iłów served an area that extended as far south-west as Łódź (about 75 km).

1776 - Władysławów (Rosterschütz) - Before 1776 the parishioners were served by the Evangelical-Reformed pastor of Żychlin near Konin. Between 1776 and the formation of the surrounding parishes the pastors of Władysławów had to serve an area covering the later parishes of Stawiszyn, Prazuchy, Grodziec, Babiak, Sompolno, Izbica, Dąbie, Koło, Turek and more. In 1837 a new affiliate was formed in Turek out of part of the parish, and in 1845 this affiliate became independent.

1777 - Stawiszyn (Stawiszyn) - In 1843 a new affiliate in Józefów was formed out of part of the parish.

1782 - Nowy Dwór (Neuhof) - In 1844 a new affiliate in Radzymin was formed out of part of the parish.

1784 - Michałki (Michalken) - Divided into 2 independent parishes in 1938: Michałki and Rypin.

1784 - Lublin (Lublin) - In 1841 a new affiliate in Końskowola was formed out of part of the parish. Two new independent parishes were formed out of part of the parish of Lublin: in 1876 the parish of Chełm-Kamień (in 1936 divided into two independent parishes), and in 1924 the parish of Cyców.

1791 - The Great Sejm (Polish parliament) passes a new constitution, which is the first modern constitution in Europe.

1793 - Suwałki (Suwalki) - Until 1838 the parish seat was at Chmielówka, when it was moved to Suwałki. In 1842 a new affiliate in Augustów was formed out of part of the parish of Suwałki. In 1844 a new affiliate in Sejny was formed out of part of the parish of Suwałki.

1793 - Lipno (Lipno) - Until 1799 the parish church was located in nearby Białowieżyn. In 1858 the boundary between the parishes of Lipno and Ossówka was changed. In 1936 the new parish of Łąkie/Lonkie and a new affiliate in Orłowo were formed out of part of the parish of Lipno.

1793 - The second partition of Poland. Ratified by the last Polish Sejm, under the threat of Russian armies.

1794 - An armed insurrection begins, led by General Kosciuszko. The insurrectionists are defeated by Russian armies.

1795 - The third and final partition of Poland. The last king of Poland, Stanislaw August Poniatowski, is forced to abdicate.

1795 - Kalisz (Kalisch) - In 1843 a new affiliate at Koło was formed out of part of the parish. Koło was served by the pastors of Turek from 1845 until 1903 , when it was merged with Babiak.

1796 - Grodziec (Grodziec) - New affiliates at Pyzdry and Zagórów were formed out of parts of the parish in 1842 and 1843, respectively. Zagórów became independent in 1856. Pyzdry was affiliated with Zagórów in 1857/58 under the name of Lisewo-Pyzdry.

1796 - Piotrków Trybunalski (Petrikau) - The parish was dissolved abt. 1806 with the end of Prussian rule in this region, and was not reestablished until 1827. At the request of factory owner Moes, Pastor Müller formed a new affiliate in 1857 at Pilica abt. 100 km south of Piotrków. Pilica was later (1876) affiliated with the parish of Kielce. In 1873 a new affiliate in Kamocin was formed out of part of the Piotrków parish.

1796 - Babiak (Babiak) - Merged with the parish of Koło from 1903 until 1923. A new affiliate was formed out of part of the parish at Izbica Kujawska in 1910. This affiliate became independent in 1934.

1797 - Kutno (Kutno) - Affiliated with Łowicz

1800 - Chodecz (Chodecz) - The parishioners of Chodecz competed with the parishioners of Kowal for the parish seat. The first few years it was located in Kowal, with services being held in private homes. Then it was relocated to Chodecz. In 1837 an affiliate was formed in Kowal out of part of the Chodecz parish. The Kowal affiliate was dissolved again in 1856.

1801 - Aleksandrów Łódzki (Alexandrow) - At first (until 1829) the parish seat was located at Brużyca Wielka. In 1839 a new affiliate in Huta Bardzyńska was formed out of part of the parish.

1804 - Płock (Plotzk) - In 1838 a new affiliate in Dobrzyń nad Wisłą was formed out of part of the parish.

1805 - Wyszogród (Wyszogrod) - In 1840 a new affiliate in Płońsk was formed out of part of the parish. From 1842 until 1848 Pułtusk was affiliated with Wyszogród. In 1846 a new affiliate in Secymin was formed out of part of the parish.

1805 - Żyrardów, Wiskitki (Zyrardow, Wiskitki) - In 1871 a new affiliate in Karolew was formed out of part of the parish.

1806 - Dąbie (Dombie am Ner) - In 1936 part of the Dąbie parish was incorporated in the new parish of Łęczyca.

1807 - Creation of the Duchy of Warsaw under the auspices of Napoleon.

1808 - Prazuchy (Prazuchy)

1808 - Sobiesęki (Sobiesenki) - At first (until 1819) the parish church was located at nearby Iwanowice.

1809 - Łask (Lask)

1815 - The Vienna Congress powers establish the Kingdom of Poland (also known as Congress Poland) under the control of Russia.

1820 - Wieluń (Wielun) - Czarny Las (Hilsbach) was affiliated with Wieluń from 1846-1852.

1821 - Włocławek  (Leslau) - The nominal formation of the parish was in 1821, the actual formation not until 1829.

1824 - Zgierz (Zgierz)

1825 - Gostynin (Gostynin) - In 1843 a new affiliate in Nowa Wieś was formed out of part of the parish.

1826 - Łódź, Św.Trójca (Lodz, St.Trinitatis)

1826 - Konin (Konin) - In 1842 a new affiliate in Maślaki was formed out of part of the parish. It became independent in 1936.

1826 - Konstantynów (Konstantynow) - In 1838 a new affiliate in Poddębice was formed out of part of the parish. This affiliate became independent in 1936.

1826 - Ozorków (Ozorkow)

1826 - Radom (Radom) - Abt. 1840 a new affiliate in Jawor was formed out of part of the parish, and in 1840 a new affiliate was established in Kozienice.

1826 - Brzeziny (Brzeziny) - The nominal formation of the parish was in 1826, the actual formation not until 1829. In 1928 a new affiliate at Łaznowska-Wola was formed out of part of the parish. This affiliate was transferred to Andrzejów in 1936.

1827 - Pabianice (Pabianice)

1827 - Przedecz (Przedecz)

1829 - Gąbin (Gombin) - The last German pastor here, Bruno Gutknecht, was killed in September, 1939.

1829 - Rawa Maz. (Rawa) - In 1839 a new affiliate in Błędów was formed out of part of the parish.

1829 - Zduńska-Wola (Zdunska-Wola) - In 1936 a new affiliate at Sieradz was formed out of part of the parish.

1830 - Tomaszów Maz. (Tomaschow)

1830-31 - Uprising (November Revolt) against Russian rule in Congress Poland. Despite initial success the uprising fails after a year.

1835 - Kielce (Kielce) - Two new affiliates were formed out of part of the parish. Pilica in 1857, and Przeczów in 1920. The Pilica affiliate was transferred to the parish of Sosnowiec in 1919.

1835 - Przasnysz (Przasnysz)

1836 - Łowicz (Lowicz)

1837 - Lipiny (Lipiny) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the Przasnysz parish. In 1933 the parish became independent under the name of Wola Młocka. In 1936 it was renamed Lipiny-Wola Młocka.

1837 - Paproć Duża (Königshuld)

1837 - Pilica (Pilica) - From 1842 until 1857 the new parish of Stara Iwiczna was affiliated with Pilica.

1837 - Sierpc (Sierpc) - A new affiliate at Siemiątkowo was formed out of part of the parish in 1933.

1837 - Bełchatów (Belchatow) - From 1837 until 1847 the new parish of Kleszczów was affiliated with Belchatów. A new affiliate at Pożdżenice was formed out of part of the parish in 1857.

1837 - Kleszczów (Kleszczow) - Affiliated with Bełchatów until 1847 when it became independent. A new affiliate at Dziepolc-Radomsko was formed in 1841.

1837 - Turek (Turek) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Władysławow. Became independent in 1845.

1838 - Nowosolna (Neu Sulzfeld) - A new affiliate at Andrzejów was formed out of part of the parish in 1925. This affiliate became independent in 1936.

1838 - Łomża (Lomza) - At first affiliated with Paproć Duża, in 1843 formed as an independent parish.

1838 - Nieszawa (Nessau)

1838 - Dobrzyń nad Wisłą (Dobrzyn a.d. Weichsel) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Płock. In 1870 the parish seat was moved to nearby Głowina.

1838 - Poddębice (Poddembice) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Konstantynów. Became independent in 1936.

1838 - Osówka (Ossowka) - At first the parish was called Rumunki-Wola. Until 1847 the parish was served by the pastor of Lipno. In 1928 the Makowisko affiliate was formed out of part of the parish. Makowisko became independent in 1936. In 1930 a new affiliate called Skrzypkowo-Jackowo was formed out of part of the parish. In 1928 the Brzozówka affiliate was formed out of part of the parish, and transferred to Makowisko in 1936.

1839 - Huta Bardzyńska (Huta Bardzinska) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish Aleksandrów Łódzki.

1839 - Błedów (Blendow) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish Rawa Maz.

1839 - Mława (Mielau) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the Przasnysz parish. Became independent in 1936 under the name of Mława-Dzialdowo (Mielau-Soldau).

abt. 1840 - Jawor (Jawor) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish Radom.

1840 - Dąbrowa Górnicza (Dombrowa Gornicza) - Affiliated with Wieluń 1840-1845, with Kielce 1846-1912, and with Sosnowiec from 1913.

1840 - Kozienice (Kozienice) - Affiliated with the parish of Radom.

1840 - Płońsk (Plonsk) - Affiliated with, and formed out of the parish of Wyszogród. The parish church was at Biele Brzeźnica.

1840 - Szczuczyn (Szczuczyn) - Affiliated with Łomża.

1840 - Sompolno (Sompolno) - Before 1840 the parishioners were served by pastors from Władysławów, Dąbie, Babiak, Chodecz, and again Babiak. New affiliates at Ludwikowo and Kozy were formed out of part of the parish in 1931 and 1936, respectively. The Ludwikowo affiliate became independent in 1938.

1841 - Końskowola (Konskawola) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Lublin.

1841 - Łęczyca (Lentschütz) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Ozorków. Became independent in 1936, at which time it also received part of the parish of Dąbie.

1841 - Dziepolc-Radomsko (Dziepolc-Radomsko) - Affiliated with Kleszczów until 1936 when it became independent. In 1841 the parish seat was in Feliksów, from 1842 until 1850 in Radomsko, and transferred to Dziepolc in 1851. In 1917 Radomsko was made an affiliate of Dziepolc, and in 1936 the two localities were combined into one independent parish.

1842 - Lisewo-Pyzdry (Lissewo-Peisern) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Grodziec under the name of Pyzdry. In 1857/58 affiliated with the parish of Zagórów under the name of Lisewo-Pyzdry.

1842 - Augustów (Augustow) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Suwałki.

1842 - Wizajny (Wizajny) - The nominal formation of the parish was in 1842, the actual formation not until 1844.

1842 - Pułtusk (Pultusk) - Affiliated with Wyszogród from 1842. Became independent in 1848. The parish of Nasielsk was an affiliate of Pułtusk from 1848 until 1936.

1842 - Stara Iwiczna (Alt-Ilvesheim) - Affiliated with Pilica from 1842. Became independent in 1857.

1842 - Sadoleś-Płatkownica (Sadoles-Platkownica) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the Węgrów parish. Became independent in 1936.

1842 - Maślaki (Butterholland) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the Konin parish. Became independent in 1936.

1843 - Zagórów (Zagorow) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Grodziec. Became independent in 1856.

1843 - Józefów (Jozefow) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Stawiszyn.

1843 - Nowa Wieś (Neudorf) - The parish was served by the pastors of Płock, Gąbin and Gostynin until 1932 when the parish had its own pastor. The church was not finished until 1877.

1843 - Koło (Kolo) - Formed out of parts of different neighbouring parishes. Affiliated with Kalisz from 1843 until 1845, when it was transferred to Turek. In 1903 Koło was merged with Babiak. In 1923, however, Koło became independent.

1844 - Sejny (Sejny) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Suwałki.

1844 - Radzymin (Radzymin) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Nowy Dwór. Became independent in 1934.

1846 - Secymin (Secymin) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Wyszogród. Became independent in 1934.

1846 - Czarny Las / Częstochowa (Hilsbach - Tschenstochau) - Affiliated with Wieluń until 1852, when the parish seat was moved to Częstochowa and affiliated with Piotrków Trybunalski. Became independent in 1906. A new affiliate at Zawiercie was formed out of part of the parish before 1914.

1849 - Nasielsk (Nasielsk) - Affiliated with Pułtusk until 1936, when Nasielsk became independent. The parish seat was at Konary.

1857 - Pilica (Pilica) - Affiliated with the parish of Piotrków Tryb. until 1876, from 1876 to 1919 with the parish of Kielce, and thereafter with the parish of Sosnowiec.

1857 - Pożdżenice (Pozdzenice) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Bełchatów.

1863-64 - Uprising (January Revolt) against Russian rule in Congress Poland. The uprising is crushed and followed by severe measures.

1871 - Karolew (Karolew) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the Żyrardów parish.

1873 - Kamocin (Kamocin) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Piotrków Trybunalski.

1876 - Chełm-Kamień (Cholm-Kamien) - Formed out of part of the parish of Lublin. In 1936 divided into two independent parishes.

1884 - Łódz, Św. Jan (Lodz, St.Johannis)

1887 - Sosnowiec (Sosnowiec) - At first there was only a private church built by a local factory owner, Heinrich Dietel. The pastor until his retirement in 1921 was Ernst Eugen Uthke. From 1913 he also served the affiliate of Dąbrowa Górnicza , and from 1919 the affiliate of Pilica, both previously belonging to the parish of Kielce. In 1922 the parishioners organized an independent parish in Sosnowiec.

1910 - Izbica Kujawska (Izbica Kujawska) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Babiak. Became independent in 1934.

bef. 1914 - Zawiercie (Zawiercie) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Częstochowa.

1914-18 - World War I results in collapse of partioning powers. Poland regains its independence.

1919-20 - Polish-Soviet war ends with a shattering Polish blow to the Soviet armies at the gates of Warsaw.

1920 - Przeczów (Przeczow) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Kielce.

1924 - Ruda Pabianicka (Ruda Pabianicka) - The church was inaugurated 1 Nov 1935, but the building was still not completed in Sep, 1939.

1924 - Cyców (Cycow) - Formed out of part of the parish of Lublin as an independent parish.

1925 - Andrzejów (Andrzejow) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Nowosolna. Became independent in 1936. A new affiliate at Bukowiec was formed out of part of the parish in 1936. The affiliate of Łaznowska-Wola was transferred from Brzeziny to Andrzejów in 1936.

1928 - Łaznowska-Wola (Grömbach) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Brzeziny. In 1936 affiliated with Andrzejów.

1928 - Makowisko (Makowisko) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Osówka. Became independent in 1936.

1928 - Brzozówka (Brzozowka) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Osówka. In 1936 affiliated with Makowisko.

1929 - Łódz, Św. Maciej (Lodz, St. Matthäi)

1930 - Skrzypkowo-Jackowo (Skrzypkowo-Jackowo) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Osówka.

1931 - Kozy (Kozy) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Sompolno.

1932 - Łódz, Radogoszcz (Lodz, Radegast)

1933 - Siemiątkowo (Siemiatkowo) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Sierpc.

1933 - Ludwikowo (Ludwikowo) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Sompolno. Became independent in 1938.

1936 - Bukowiec (Königsbach) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Andrzejow.

1936 - Łąkie (Lonkie) - Formed out of part of the parish of Lipno as an independent parish.

1936 - Sieradz (Sieradz) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Zdunska-Wola.

1936 - Orłowo (Orlowo) - Affiliated with, and formed out of part of the parish of Lipno.

1938 - Rypin (Rypin) - Formed out of part of the parish of Michałki.

1939 - World War II begins with the September invasions of Poland by Nazi Germany and Soviet Union.

1945 - With the end of WWII most Germans either fled or were expelled from Poland.

Top of page